Friday 12 February 2016

Activities that are dangerous with a stoma

My upbringing left me in a lot of crazy situations with people who liked to be a little wild.  I enjoy the whole country living lifestyle and it allowed me to learn a lot of skills that most of my friends in the city didn't even think about.  One of my favorite things to do is to learn how to ride a bike but in the country and through the mountains. It is a great way to exercise and also spend time with people that you love and like.  This translated well to my later life because my family bike riding is a big thing for many families in this country and lots of us like to be together while doing something.  It is also a great way to stay fit and being with family is just a cool bond to have and I highly suggest giving it a try.  So does this mean I should stop it all because I have a stoma?  This means that you guessed it, I have a stoma.   I suggest that you keep up with working out and exercising even after your ostomy because you need it.  I do suggest you get the correct ostomy supplies and then you will be able to not have any issues. It is all about the right gear and that allows me to be a little crazy and live a little dangerously because my gear is that good. Just get high-quality ostomy gear and remember to get out and bike.  So what are some of the areas that I like to bike and the types of conditions I like to do it on? You guessed it, trails.



Being adventurous didn't go away when I got a little older. It actually got more real because I wanted to feel young again.  To me, the most fun thing to do on a bike is mountain biking.  There really is nothing like strapping up the right gear and finding an adventure ride that will shock your senses. It is wild and fast.  Luckily I live next to one of the best mountain bike trails in the state. Surprisingly it is actually in the city and built around a park that is really nearly unknown and dedicated to biking only. This trail is beautiful and crazy fast which means that I also use a stoma guard. 


 

Spend time with your family and let them learn how to do it. Biking can be hard and painful. If you are tired it takes work and pain to finish off the trail and sometimes it really is not fun. But it is the challenge and overcoming things you may not like to build character and life lessons. Many things in life are really hard. Biking with an ostomy can even be a bit of a challenge, but these are great ways to learn lessons. Hard lessons are good.


It is also fun to enjoy hard and not so hard times too. So don't always go 100% on each trip.   My family and I like to hop on our bikes and go and get ice cream and that is a really fun way to workout, and burn off some of the ice creams we are about to eat, and also to talk and get through things that happened in the day and week and some of our future hopes and plans as well. Date night and biking is a cool thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

GI Tract Before and After Ostomy Surgery

The digestion starts from the mouth, where the food is broken into pieces as we chew it. Saliva makes it easy to swallow those broken pieces...